Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
80-89 Bracket - Best professions for ele/resto shammy lvl 80 in Twink Battleground Brackets

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Best professions for ele/resto shammy lvl 80

Hey here is my 80 shammy im messing around on Chthonic @ The Sha'tar - Community - World of Warcraft and was wondering what are the best proffs for it to maximise my dps etc.
    any tips and hints most welcome ty in advance

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re: Best professions for ele/resto shammy lvl 80

Um, your armory lists you as subtlety O.o

http://i.imgur.com/NWXNj.png

It's likely that Herbalism + Tailoring will net you the highest damage over a short duration (I've no idea how elemental values haste, but I'm sure even past spell-haste capping it has some value for HoTs as resto

If not, swawp leatherworking out for tailoring. With the 409s, alchemy isn't really close to the other professions anymore (unfortunately).
    70s: Death Knight Warrior Paladin
    80s: Paladin Death Knight Warrior Mage Monk
    85s: Rogue
    Everything is the only thing I've seen people complain about in WoW.

Pug

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here are a few options:

Tailoring: Lightweave Embroidery (550 skill to reach) 2000 int for 15 seconds, 45 second ICD. Average 666 int vs 50 int or 65 crit for ilvl 300 cloaks.
    Spellthreads: 265 int + 165 spirit or crit vs 55 int + 45 spirit or 65 stam. (Overall: 826 int increase on the average)
    Alchemy: Vibrant Alchemist Stone: 300int + red socket (+10 int bonus) + 194 haste vs either of your current trinkets. (+360 int + 22 secondary stats, lose trinket proc - Also gain Mixology, +37 SP with Flask of the Frost Wyrm)
    Leatherworking: 500 int to bracer enchant vs 50 int or 65 crit or 65 haste. Leg enchant may be nice in PvP for added stam or crit. (+450 Int increase)

Blacksmithing, Jewelcrafting, and Inscription do not grant a benefit beyond the WotLK bonuses.
    Blacksmithing: 2 gem slots = 100 int.
    Jewelcrafting: 3 epic cuts = +51 int over comparable gems (and if you have the gem slots).
    Inscription = 125 int + 25 haste vs 24 spellpower + 15 haste - slightly better than BS.

I am not sure about Engineering, Herbalism, or Skinning, honestly.

I would recommend Tailoring for sure, with it being very close with Leatherworking and Alchemy. I would recommend doing Alchemy, since secondary stats are very strong for 80s, allowing you to keep a 65 crit or haste to the bracers.

On a side note, I wouldn't worry about sticking strictly to mail. There are some very strong ilvl 409 cloth pieces, along with a weapon that can significantly boost your dps. Ravenclaw Harbinger alone would boost your damage more than any profession would (about a 2k spellpower increase along with better enchants).

-----

Edit: Did not see Splosion's post before posting. I do like his recommendation on Herbalism - great burst potential. I would go Tailoring/Herb based on his recommendations too.
    Last edited by Aredyl; 11-08-2012 at 10:18 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Awesome i just created a new class of shaman :P
    On a serious note i'l take up tailoring and herbalism and see how it goes,Ty for the prompt responses guys they really helped.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Oh, and yes. You want to get as many of the useful 409s as possible. This means cloth unfortunately, anyone (including tanks) still sticking to the spec bonus at this point has some re-thinking to do.

Semi Twink

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just read the tooltip on the herbalism buff and at 600 it will give you 2880 haste :O that is abit more then 80%

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yup, but my point was that with BL and other cooldowns, haste will be MASSIVELY devlaued, since elemental is mostly casts, less about DoT damage (if not much has changed since cata)

Pug

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by broblade View Post
    Just read the tooltip on the herbalism buff and at 600 it will give you 2880 haste :O that is abit more then 80%
    87.83% haste. Its pretty massive.

** Short answer after rethinking haste soft/hard caps **

Quite a bit of the haste will be wasted. Go after Tailoring/LW instead.

** Long answer **

Here is a bit from EJ that seems to apply to this situation (since its working with percentages and not actual haste ratings):

"There are two haste caps, one "soft cap" at 50% where additional haste ceases to have any affect on Chain Lightning, Lava Burst and Shocks. The second is a "hard cap" at 100% where haste caps out on Lightning Bolt and Elemental Blast. Even though temporary haste buffs like Bloodlust and Elemental Mastery will push you over the 50% haste cap if you have more than 15.38% haste self buffed, it won't affect stat weights generated by SimulationCraft as it already takes this into account."

For nothing to be wasted from the Herbalism buff, the Shaman's haste cap would be around 6.48% or 1.40% without Elemental Oath (46 haste rating). Its feasibly not possible to get this low without intentionally stacking AWAY from your best dps stat. Taking a look at Splosion's Paladin as an example, they have 1522 haste in gear pre-reforging. This is easily enough to cap out Chain Lightning and Lava Burst without the aid of BL/Hero or Elemental Mastery, about 53.43% haste. Only about 30.36% (996 rating) haste would be used to hard cap out without bloodlust/heroism/elemental mastery, and about 0.27% haste (9 haste rating) with BL/Hero/EM.

** Note: Flame Shock is roughly about 5% of an Elemental Shaman's dps at level 90 and was not considered into haste values. The "soft cap" concerning FS above refers to the cast, not the actual effect on the DoT portion (GCD @ 50% haste is capped). You may see a significant damage increase from Flame Shock under Herbalism, but I feel that the increase comes at too high of a cost. **

On its own, Lifeblood is good enough to take. Considering future upgrades, there are significantly better choices available for an Elemental Shaman for burst situations. As inserted into a sustained rotation over a course of 5+ minutes, you can do significantly worse for a profession choice, but Herbalism is not optimal imo.

Also, considering everything above, take Echo of the Elements over Elemental Mastery. EM starts losing value over Echo where the player has more than 15+% haste due to the soft cap.
    Last edited by Aredyl; 11-09-2012 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Edited to give a quick answer and fix a calculation.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Damn Aredyl that's a really nice and in depth look at it ty for going through it all for me and taking the time to write out such,I'm not going to pretend to understand all of it but the bits i can get my head around do make sense to me.
    So thanks for the input guys.

Twink

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

for my shaman i did LW/Tailor but personal choice ^_^

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information